Saturday, September 24, 2011

Anyeongs!~

Well, I attempted to blog but that didn't happen. I got distracted with something I guess. So, it's been over a month since I've been here in Seoul. Living. Teaching. Exploring. It's great. I love new adventures. I know everyone has been waiting for me to blog, but I've been lazy. My bad. I am lazy so I am just going to copy and paste the blog I started writing on Word while I was staying in my wonderful love motel.


August 26, 2011 7:56 AM

Anyeongs! I am now in Seoul, SKorea. I have been here for 6 days so far. I am chilling in a love motel down the street from the apartments I will be moving into. I’m just waiting for the teacher I am replacing to move out to move in. It’s a little strange living out of my suitcases and at a place where weird things happen, but I’m loving the huge LG flat screen I can watch MTV and Kdramas on.

Let’s go back to the first night I got here. I got here Sunday night. It took me forever. My flight to San Francisco was delayed and made me freak out about missing my connecting flight, but I was a ok. The only thing I didn’t like about Singapore airlines is the 50 lb limit for my two check-ins. Whatever. So, I arrived in my new hood and met my new coworkers. We went for Korean BBQ! YUMMERS!~ Then I crashed.

The first few days of work were pretty interesting. It is a lot different than the school I worked for in Japan. It’s an actual preschool/kindergarten type of classes. I have two sets of ten little kiddos I teach in the morning. We have snack and lunch. There are events and field trips, which the other school didn’t have. We actually have one today! Yay! It’s at the Digital Pavilion. I don’t know what that means, but we will see!

The highlights of this week:

On Wednesday, I had lunch with the director and a couple coworkers. We went to a mandu place that looked like a house. I think it used to be. I’m not sure, but it had a GREAT view. It was up in the mountain area. On our way there, we got a nice view of downtown. AND… we went to a coffee shop where COFFEE PRINCE WAS FILMED!!!~ I was squealing like a fangirl. I took SEVERAL pictures.

Yesterday was a bit of a drag with long PowerPoints at the training I went to in Sinchon, but I was able to explore the area afterward. I went to a few department stores in seach for H&M and UNIQLO. I failed up until I started wandering around the streets and found a stand alone UNIQLO. It was in the buildings. I walked around some more and stumbled on a HELLO KITTY CAFÉ!!~ It is right across from a pho place called Pho Roi. Hahaha! I walked around some more and heard live music down the street. That was where I listened to Romantic Punch for the first time. I watched them finish their performance and bought a CD, which I got signed by all the members of the band. Exciting.

I was a little nervous about how I would feel in Seoul, but these are the things I love about living in a foreign place. Accidentally finding things is awesome, and now I am going to find more places where my favorite Kdramas were filmed.

Quick food pics:
Korean BBQ + Cass = <3

Kimchi Fried Rice at kimbap lady’s place

Clear noodles with yummy chicken in Insadong: Jimdak?

Skewers at this food stall. The man new my name before I got there. Scary!

@the coffee prince café

Waffle and Sweet Potato Latte

August 28, 2011 1:25 PM

Well, after trying to connect to the “free wifi” at Ediya Coffee for the past half hour, I gave up. I am going to be writing this on Word first.

Happy birthday to one of my new friends I made here! Happy Birthday Jacky!~

Flashback to Friday. It was a field trip day with the kiddos. We went to the Digital Pavillion. It was pretty interesting with all the futuristic gadgets they had. Too bad I couldn’t understand anything that was going on. My favorite part of the trip was lunchtime. The kids brought extra kimbap and shared with me! There were some pretty tasty kimbaps. I need to learn how to make it.

That night we went out for Jacky’s birthday. I picked up two bottles of fresh soju before heading to the apartments. It tasted like water at first, but then it didn’t. I needed my dried squid fix. After fueling up, we took a taxi to Hongdae. There were so many pretty lights. I loved it. I felt like I was in Shinjuku for a minute. Went to an izakaya and had omu rice with no rice. It was filled with bulgogi. It was tasty, but I needed my carbs for the night. After a snack, we headed to the club. We went to NB1. It was pretty happening. The best thing about the club was when BIGBANG was playing. It was pretty awesome when TOP and GD came on, too. I was super excited. Teehee. The guys are as nasty as the ones in Japan, but just a bigger build. Well, a select few were a bit bigger. Guys are very passive and quiet during the day, but when the sun goes down, it’s a whole different story, especially after they liquor up. I definitely need to hit up another club in Hongdae.

Saturday morning did not exist for me. I slept until 2 PM. Teehee. I met up the girlies at 3 PM. We went to Hyewha and had a late lunch. We went to Kraze Burger, and the KG burger I got was gosh dern good. I would definitely go there again. I want to try something else. I also go the chili fries, and it wasn’t Korean modified chili. Thank goodness. Note to everyone who likes sour pickles: pickles in Korea are SWEET! I need to go to the store to get some real pickles. After Kraze Burger we went to… HELLO KITTY CAFÉ! We had to go there twice because the first round the place was full. This Hello Kitty Café was pretty cute. It was a different layout. I liked the interior a lot more. I got green tea and tiramisu, and they were both good, but I think I like the waffle and sweet potato latte more.

After Hello Kitty Café, we walked around. I checked out some cute shops. I think I’ve fallen in love with Artbox. I need to remind myself to buy small household items that I can pack back home. I found a super cute panda table that I can use when I eat. There are so many Morning Glory shops here. I remember when we used to have one in Houston near Memorial City Mall. They logo is the same, so I’m pretty sure it’s the same same. The one I went to in Hyewha was pretty ghetto. I felt like I was in an overpriced dollar store. OMG. Speaking of dollar stores, Korea has Daiso!!!~

That evening, the girls and I went to a self-service beer place. It was pretty awesome. Very laid back and chill. After that we headed to Itaewon for another coworkers birthday shingdig. We hung out at his apartment, and I spaced out. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. Everyone was speaking English in an apartment that was decently sized. I didn’t like I was in Korea anymore, Toto. After that we went to a place called Craftsmen I think… And there were loads of foreigners. Itaewon was infested with foreigners. I think I want to hit up something more hip and happening in Itaewon.

And now it’s Sunday. I am going to a different part of Seoul today, Gangnam. I’m pretty stoked. It’s the baller side of Seoul. I only know this because of Kdramas. I guess we will see how it is.

------------

Well, that was a lot of writing.

So, Gangnam was pretty cool. Little fishes at dead skin off my fit after I ate a Belgian waffle and latte. I walked around Seoul a little at night. Saw a few palaces and statues. There is a little romantic area where couples walk at, which was really nice. I saw so many things in the month of August, and I was only in Seoul for a week and a half in August.

I'm sure this is enough for now. In the month of September so far, I've seen so many more places and even went on a weekend vacation to Jeju Island. But I will share another time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, this is Makiko, AEON student.
    You live in Seoul and seem to enjoy new life ! Did you see any Korean stars ? (^o^)

    ReplyDelete