Monday, December 20, 2010

The side of Japan tourists don't get to see...

When people come to visit Japan, they want to see Mt. Fuji, Tokyo Tower, cherry blossoms, hot springs, shrines, kimonos, Harajuku girls, etc... Well, I've seen all of the above minus the cherry blossoms. The season hasn't happened since I've been here. Anyways, I have discovered there is so much more to explore and experience. I am so glad that I am living in Japan. (even though my hot water stopped working on me yesterday)

I went to my first Japanese rock concert. (One thing crossed off my to-do list!) It wasn't any sort of fangirl band that people would probably assume I would go see here in Japan. It went to go see a group called Okamoto's. (Get a taste of their music here.) They are a band that started in their garage and are now rising with popularity in Japan. They have also performed internationally in Austin, but honestly I've never heard of them until now. It was such a great experience watching the swarm of people rocking out to an incredible band!


I also got to try out a kiseru. Kiseru is a rarely used Japanese tobacco pipe these days. The taste of the tobacco was quite interesting. I don't really know how to put it in words, but that taste stayed in my mouth for awhile. If I could get my own kiseru, that would be wonderful, but being able to experience a kiseru in Japan is awesome enough for me.



Now, it's time to blog about food!

I love this season. I didn't know it until I found a section in the conbinis here... strawberry flavored snacks!! And... I can find sweet potato flavored everything! And chestnuts flavored everything!! And of course... different flavored KIT KATS! I LOVE JAPAN! I am getting fat!~ But it's okay!


I got pastries and more Hello Kitty phone straps! AND this really cool wooden toy from one of students! YAY! She went to Kyushu and got me THREE MORE! My students are awesome.


I went to standing bar for the very first time thanks to my co-worker. There's this really cool contraption that pours the beers. The people don't pour then, this machine does! And you would think that with the machine they would minimize the foam on top, but no... They also give you this dippy sauce that is communal. You can't double dip! You can dip the bottomless bowl of cabbage and fried goods!

That's all for today folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment