Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Toto, I've a feeling I'm not in Japan anymore... or am I?

It's not that I don't fancy Japanese food anymore, but for some reason I have been eating at non-Japanese restaurants.

It all started after failing the first attempt to hit up a Vietnamese restaurant in Shibuya. I found myself at an Indian restaurant called Samrat instead. Let me tell you, that nan with the two types of curry I got was the bizzombs! I forgot what it was called, but one was mutton and the other was some sort of buttery chicken something. It was definitely good. I would go there again and order the same thing and more.


Then the next thing on my around-the-world menu for the weekend was Korean. I LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE Korean. I went to some place down the street from Okubo Station. It was Korean barbecue tabehodai aka all you can eat YUMMINESS!!~ They cooked the yummilicious marinated meat on top of some sort of crystal. It was fun watching them clean the surface of the slab of crystal in between massive cooking with cubes of ice melting and steaming on top. And there was a mug that caught the oil, which was SO not appetizing. No one wanted to take a shot of it for $100! Hah! I could possibly go back to this place again, but they need to not be fraudulent and have EVERYTHING be for real tabehodai. How can KIMCHI not be bottomless like the rest? KIMCHI!!~


So finally, I was able to have a taste of Vietnamese food in Shibuya the following weekend. And let me just tell you, they were definitely Vietnamese, which got all my hopes up. FAIL! I got me a bowl of bun rieu, and I had to force myself to eat that expensive bowl of noodles. Where was the crab? The soup of the pho was at least somewhat decent. However, nothing beats Papa's cooking. And honestly, it just wasn't great at all compared to even the crappiest Vietnamese restaurant in Houston. I also tried their banh cuon, and it tasted like it was just reheated and served. The texture of the cuon was not fresh. BUT! One good thing from this restaurant were the eggrolls, which were almost as good as Mama's. It will suffice.

Oh. I didn't get pictures of the banh cuon and eggrolls because we were too hungry and wolfed it all down before I realized I didn't take pictures of it.... Biyanee.

Later that night, the around-the-world menu was not over, I went to Ginza's Mitsukoshi department store to have some Italian. I got myself a pizza. I forgot what I ordered exactly, but it was some sort of chicken pizza. The chicken was mixed with some sort of special sauce and was plopped smack dab in the middle of the pizza. It was pretty good, but it wouldn't be something I would go back for again.


And this past weekend was full of festivities. I went to a restaurant called Arabian Rock in Shinjuku. It was pretty nifty. There were a lot of tricks to get into the restaurant and everything. If you have a birthday there, the Genie from Aladdin along with two wannabe Jasmines will parade around. That night was a nomihodai night aka all you can drink. You know it! How was the food? I don't really remember. It wasn't that special obviously. I would never go there again. Maybe it was because of the company I had. And I'm not talking about the girls in the picture with me. It's the other half that will not be exposed to cyber world.


Finally, to top off all my different tastes of the world, I got me some Mexican. The place is called Junkadelic. It's a super cozy place that totally made me feel like I was back at home. Maybe it was the other foreigners sitting at the table next to ours, but the feel of the place was definitely not Japanese. The food was definitely delish. I got myself a beef burrito. I would definitely come back here again. The enchiladas, empanadas, and well practically everything looked so good!


Some places did make me feel like I was still in Japan eating Japanese versions of Vietnamese, Italian, and Arabian. However, the winners of the weekends for authenticity, or something pretty close to it, were Indian, Korean, and Mexican.

No comments:

Post a Comment